Tuesday, May 1, 2012

And on the seventh day….

 

…..I am pretty sure he went for a ride.

Nothing that I have ever done before has the ability to clear my head and help me relocate my centre than putting on my gear, straddling the seat, hitting that starter button and rolling on out for a ride. I think that it must be a combination of things - the total focus that is necessary; the feel of the vibration in my legs, hands, feet and torso, telling me that I am now part of something more than myself; the sense of the raw power awaiting a twist of my wrist – almost beckoning, but not quite – more like reminding me. “I am here and ready when you want me.”

Motoring down the open road – feeling the ribbon of asphalt as it undulates and squirms beneath my machine and I, pulling me into it’s corners and dancing with me through the twists – this is when time stops for me. There is no thought of what tomorrow may bring – or even the next hour. There is only now – and when the road, my bike and I are all in tune with each other, that now can last forever. The moment is magical. It is in these moments that I am aware  - I mean, really aware.

Now, I understand that it is not really possible for me to convey the experience of riding a motorcycle to one who has never done so. It would be like trying to describe the taste of chocolate to a person who has never melted a piece on their tongue, or explaining what being in love is like to one who has never been through that butterflies-in-the-stomach, word stammering, palm sweating, oh my god I really think I love…., well, you get the picture. It really is beyond the scope of spoken language.

That is the primary reason that I started up this blog again a few weeks ago. I wished to try to portray the sights, sounds and feelings of riding across this magnificent country on a motorcycle.

I will do my very best, dear reader, to provide you with an accuracy of sensations – and with this in mind I acknowledge that it will require an artistic measure of combining words, music, video and still photos. That artistic measure, I must admit, remains largely undeveloped within me – so please – be patient, and join me as I search for something more.

I hit the road in 30 days from today. But who’s counting, heheheheh.

A little video of a ride I went on with a group of friends last weekend. Remember how I mentioned that in those moments when I, my bike and the road are all in tune with each other that it is a moment of magic. Well let me tell you, when there are a group of us out together, performing in the ballet conducted by the road beneath our tires and scored by the engines between our thighs, this is when – for this rider and this writer – that I am aware that we are all one.

Good morning travelers. I hope that you enjoy todays ride.

Dancing with the road

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate and encourage comments and / or criticisms. If I do not get back right away it is likely because I am out riding - or haven't checked the comments section in a couple of days - but I will do my best to respond.

Hope you are enjoying the ride.