Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Reason For Everything

 

Well, my departure time is rapidly approaching. Faster than expected, actually. Seems there was a scheduling error at work, the result being that I am technically on vacation NOW!

 

This, of course, has given me cause to ponder – and recalibrate – my schedule.

 

My original plan, as you know, was to hop aboard my bike at 0500 on Friday morning, point my front tire west – and ride off into the….uhmmm…..away from the sunrise.

With that time frame in mind, I ordered a new visor for my helmet yesterday. The sales woman told me that it should be in by Thursday – “but not to worry – if it did not arrive before I leave on Friday”, she said, “we won’t charge you any restocking fees or anything.”

 

It arrived today. Of course it did. Why wouldn’t it?

 

The sales woman at the dealership could not believe that it was already in. I kinda’ smiled and said something like ‘neat huh?’

Now I am thinking of a trip revision. I am considering leaving tomorrow afternoon and riding to Algonquin Park. I will stay the night there, at a campsite in the park.

The very same park that I stayed in on the one and only occasion that I ever went camping with my father and my older brother. A trip I remember fondly, even 38 years later. That camping trip left some indelible memories, and helped to form the bond of friendship and love that I share with my older brother to this day.

Serendipitous, then, that a scheduling error at work has led to a chain of thought and revision that leave me revisiting my childhood on a trip that is all about discovering more of me.

And people ask me why I am so happy all of the time.

Isn’t it obvious? Life is exciting. We get exactly what we need, precisely when we need it – even when we have no idea of what it is that we need.

Okay, okay. I am going on about that ‘flaky’ stuff again, lol.

I was honoured with the opportunity to spend this morning with one of the most courageous people that I know – a very dear friend of mine who is currently undergoing chemo-therapy for stage 4 liver cancer. She has not lost the bounce in her step – is still as quick as ever to flash a mischievous smile – and retains such a positive attitude about the challenges that she is faced with that it makes my heart swell to simply think her name.

 

I love you hon. Though I am about to head thousands of kilometers away from you, I will be with you everyday, and thinking of you with every rising sun.

 

So this is my last pre-trip post. The next time that you hear from me I will probably be in Sault Ste. Marie. I will make an effort to post daily, and will be including some pictures in every post. My GoPro videos will be a post-trip project – a way to relive the moments – and capture the magic – all over again.

 

Here are a couple of links to pics and a video from a recent ride to Mont Tremblant with the guys and gals in the CMC.

Tremblant pics

Tremblant video

Though they do not really do justice to that which I am able to experience while in the wind, I trust that they at least convey the idea.

 

Ready?

 

Lets go!

 

Peace and love fellow travelers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate and encourage comments and / or criticisms. If I do not get back right away it is likely because I am out riding - or haven't checked the comments section in a couple of days - but I will do my best to respond.

Hope you are enjoying the ride.