Thursday, May 10, 2012

So close I can smell it…

 

I am really starting to get excited now. In 20 days I will be throwing a leg over a laden, iron pack-mule otherwise known as a Honda 750 ACE and heading west, with the rising sun warming my back and lighting my way.

I have rather diligently attended to the necessary pre-trip service on my trusty steed, having done my first 5000km oil change of the season last week, had the chain cleaned, lubed and tightened, brakes adjusted and a minor inspection completed. My mechanic noted that I have an exhaust leak at the heads, causing some snap-crackle-popping on deceleration as well as some backfiring. Though he said I need not worry about it, I am bringing my mount back to have new exhaust gaskets installed tomorrow morning.

My mechanic also noted that by the time I get out west I will be in need of new tires. I could get them installed tomorrow – but if I wait it will force me to take a break for an afternoon out west – that could work to my advantage. Though you never know – lets see what tomorrow brings.

I have also spent this morning planning out a loose itinerary. I am starting to think that it might be a little ambitious for the 12 days that I plan on being in the Rockies. In light of that I have sought advice from a fellow rider who has spent a great deal of time riding in BC and the Rockies – and who has been my sage since I started planning this adventure. His advice has certainly helped me to prepare for my journey – so a trip to the Kawartha lakes region and a steak dinner are on the agenda for July.

Here is a link to a google maps plot of my planned trip- using Calgary as a start and end point since Ottawa to Calgary and Calgary to Ottawa are pretty, uhmmmm….lets call it straightforward, lol .

My Epic Motorcycle Adventure

Also, here is a link to my latest Widows Live Movie Maker creation – this time utilizing a slide show of pics taken in Gatineau Park last fall. I think the slideshow format will work well for blog posts on the road – I can edit and upload GoPro video posts when I get home.

Autumn

I’m getting butterflies,…..

Thanks for riding along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate and encourage comments and / or criticisms. If I do not get back right away it is likely because I am out riding - or haven't checked the comments section in a couple of days - but I will do my best to respond.

Hope you are enjoying the ride.