Saturday, April 21, 2012

Things that make you go ‘Hmmmmm’…..


Admittedly, the opportunities to see and hear strange things while at work are more common-place, some might even say standard, for me than they are for the average Joe. I work at a large homeless shelter you see. And for those of you who have never really thought about the make-up of the homeless population in any location, I can assure you that mental illness, in its myriad forms, as well as concurrent disorders are the weight on the heavy end of the balance.
That being said – and with no malice nor harm intended – I thought I would share some of those little nuggets of wit and wisdom that often bring a smile to the down-turned faces of our clients and a chuckle to those that spend their days doing what they can to help those in need. Every now and then I will close a blog with something that stood out for me while at work.
I should also note that I am going to write a sort of preface to my upcoming travel-blog. You may not find it pertinent, nor even interesting. I however, find it necessary to set the stage, if you will. For my life, I am learning, is but a story to be told. And starting more than halfway through simply does not make sense. At least, not to this fellow. So over the next 5 or 6 weeks I will offer an introduction to the man on the keyboard (I have so longed to be a skilled musician for my entire life that musical references always seep into the prose) and some insights into who I have been, who I am – and how it all came to be.
So, last night, in a packed dining room full of ravenous eaters and boisterous tale-tellers, an oft-quiet and subdued fellow stands close to my shoulder and says to me-
“It happened in April of 1974 you know. But I wasn’t there. So I didn’t see it”
Good morning travelers.

Joe

2 comments:

  1. One thing I hear a lot is"I felt so good this morning,I didn't take my Meds, that was a Week ago"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the most unfortunate truths about mental illness though, isn't it Derrick- that the individual who is suffering has no idea or belief that they are suffering whenever they happen to have gone off of their medications. All we can do is try to connect them with the resources in place, and try our best to keep them, and others, safe.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate and encourage comments and / or criticisms. If I do not get back right away it is likely because I am out riding - or haven't checked the comments section in a couple of days - but I will do my best to respond.

Hope you are enjoying the ride.