Monday, June 4, 2012

Aaaahhh, that’s better….


I got up at 0500 this morning. And smiled. John was just arising himself. And it didn’t matter. I was accountable to me. It was my trip again.
John hit the highway at 06:25 or so.
I started my bike at 0700. At 0715 I was stopped on the side of the road, not even out of Winnipeg yet, taking a picture of a 1970 Dodge muscle car. Just because I liked it enough to take a picture.
I smiled again as I was taking the pic.
I must have stopped at least 10 times today. And I only travelled a paltry 610 kms.
I took pictures of wind turbines. And the Saskatchewan welcome sign. And Manitoba fields. And grain elevators. And any damn thing I wanted to take a picture of. I stopped at a McDonalds. And at a Tim Horton’s. And at the Saskatchewan welcome station.
I took my time. And you know what – the prairies are not nearly as bad as everybody made it sound. At least, not while riding a motorcycle, singing a song and smiling ear to ear.
The low point of my day occurred about 18 minutes into my ride. I was adjusting my GPS unit to cut the glare. And I snapped the ball off the mount.
*sigh*
That just meant that I was traveling by eye. And lets be honest here – it is pretty hard to get lost on the Trans Canada highway between Winnipeg and Regina. There is not 1 turn. Seriously. Not 1.
So when I arrived in Regina, I checked my cell messages, heard the message from John – knew that he got us a room in a place called Belle Plaine, Saskatchewan. 50 kms west of the city or so, according to the message. “You can’t miss it”, he said.
And John was right. You cannot possibly miss it because Belle Plaine has only 1 structure or building of any kind. Standing 40 feet away from the 1 and only gas pump.
I expected to see a lame dog with 1 eye sitting in the shade of the nearby tree, but, errr…..there was no nearby tree.
The building (reminiscent of a favela in Rio) houses a bar, of sorts. And from behind that bar a young lady stood at the cash register, where presumably she managed all of the establishments transactions. From fuel sales (mine) to food sales (not on your life) to motel room rentals (sigh – yes, mine again – but actually I am innocent of choosing – guilty of staying).
I swear to god I expected to hear that sinister horror-flick music that just screams
‘GET THE HELL OF THERE RIGHT NOW BEFORE YOU FIND YOURSELF CHAINED TO A WALL IN A BASEMENT!’
…but it did not happen. Obviously. Wait a minute. How do you know this is me typing. Ahaaa….did he hear that music? Is John okay? How does it all turn out?
Yeah. I’m fine. So is John. And it is me typing. Though I am doing so 40 kms BACK IN THE DIRECTION I CAME FROM.
Why?, you ask. Well, because the free WiFi signal at the motel is free for a reason. If you can get a connection you deserve to have free service. Kind of like a back-woods motel contest. I hope the proprietor is laughing.
Wait a minute. Of course he /she / they are. They have 2 unwitting guests.
Did I mention that the door to our room appears to have been attended to with a pry bar recently.
Ok – Calgary tomorrow. Civilization, and all that.
I did make one really pleasant and highly unexpected discovery today. Rolling down the T-Can through Saskatchewan I decided that it was time to have a bite to eat just as I saw a sign advertising gas, food, lodging, etc, etc. in the town of Grenfell.
I hung a right turn off the highway where the sign said to turn and promptly discovered that other than the T-Can, there is not a single paved road in all of Saskatchewan. Freakin’ gravel roads everywhere! Like riding a motorcycle on flippin’ marbles for god’s sake.
Okay, I exaggerate. But there really are way, way too many gravel roads for the comfort of a motorcyclist on a street bike.
Anyway, I navigated the gravel for a couple of kilometers and made a second discovery.
Everything in Saskatchewan is like a contest. Sure, there are highway signs alerting you to the fact that that rest room you need – gas pump that you must find – restaurant that will quiet the kids – all of these things are ‘right here off the highway’.
If you are game for a round of hide and seek that is. Because nothing is where the signs point. Literally. Follow the signs and I guarantee that you will find……….NOTHING.
But look around a little, and you just might discover a hidden little gem. Like the sandwich shop / bakery that I discovered across from the post office in the minutes-away-from-being-a-ghost-town of Grenfell, Saskatchewan.
I parked my bike. Took off my helmet. Donned my ball cap (always wanting to make a good impression, don’t ya’ know) – walked through the door………….
…………..and straight onto the set from Corner Gas. I shit you not. It was uncanny. There were 2 older native women sitting in the corner near the window, a young acne-scarred, pony-tail and ball cap wearing, bespectacled young native man in conversation with them, animatedly waving his hands as he was exclaiming something to do with the try-outs at the local high school.
Two elderly Caucasian farmers, dressed in their John Deere best and covered in dust were at the table next to the one that I chose – both talking about the fact that someone had ”done the community a favour by killin’ that drug dealer fella, ayup”
There were two young teenage girls sitting at a lone booth around the corner, busily texting or checking facebook on their cellphones.
And the owners were……..
wait for it……….
a young oriental couple. In a tiny little town-that-time-forgot with a population of 900 souls.
I ordered, and ate the best tasting home made submarine sandwich that I have had in years. The coffee was strong – fresh – and delicious.
If you ever find yourself traveling down the TransCanada highway and hour or 2 into Saskatchewan and feel the need to stop for a bite – I urge you – and I mean I highly recommend – that you stop in Grenfell. And take a look around. You will be pleasantly surprised, I promise you.

Finally – I ended my evening with a trip back into Regina, as mentioned earlier – for 2 reasons. To find a replacement handle bar mount for my GPS – somewhat successful – and to have dinner with a friend who moved here from Ottawa 3 years ago.
Keetha, it was a real treat to see you. As always, you had me in stitches.

Okay – time to leave the McDonald’s in Regina who’s WiFi I have been enjoying and head back to Belle Plaine – to the no-tell motel.
See you tomorrow – live – from Calgary.
Ride safe.

IMG-20120604-00063 (1)Keetha and your writer / rider.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate and encourage comments and / or criticisms. If I do not get back right away it is likely because I am out riding - or haven't checked the comments section in a couple of days - but I will do my best to respond.

Hope you are enjoying the ride.