Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Vancouver. Glorious.

 

I arrived in Vancouver yesterday. Around 3:00pm local time I pulled into a prearranged meeting spot and called my friend Sophia, who had agreed to put me up at her place for a couple of days. I was about to take a few days out of the saddle, and that sounded just fine to me.

Don’t get me wrong. There is nothing I enjoy more than riding my motorcycle. Those who know me, know this to be true. But after 10 days of almost entirely wet riding, I was ready for a break.

The ride from Princeton, BC to Vancouver is one that I am so very happy to have experienced. The route is highway 3, through the Cascade Mountains and EC Manning Provincial Park, on to Hope, BC and onto the TransCanada Highway for the rest of the journey into Vancouver.

The temperatures while riding through the Cascade mountains were the coldest I have ever ridden in. I would not be surprised if it was 4 degrees or less. I actually rode through snow flurries. My hands were freezing, and I frequently dropped my left onto the rear cylinder head of my bikes motor in order to try to get it warm. Not having cruise control, there was nothing I could do for my right hand until I was on one of the ever steepening down-hill grades. Here I would squeeze the clutch with my left and drop my right onto the cylinder head – though not for long. The curves and twisties on this section of highway 3 are as incredible – and potentially deadly – as any found along her length.

I cannot express enough how much fun highway 3 is to ride. I can only imagine what she would be like in  warm sunshine, where the riders’ only focus is the highway and the environs – with no thought of cold, rain, and general discomfort.

Low clouds in the Cascades

I have made a promise to myself that I shall live this experience. Maybe not this time, on this journey. But I will return to the 3. Count on it.

I shot some GoPro footage of the ride from Princeton, into the Cascades and through to Hope and on to Vancouver. I will post this footage on YouTube when I get back home – I cannot commit to taking time out from my trip to render, edit and upload the video before then. I have previewed some of it – and you can feel the ride.

After arriving yesterday my friend Sophia took me to Commercial Drive. The timing was perfect as the Italian Day Festival was going on, and ‘The Drive’ was curb-to-curb people for 20 blocks or more. A penultimate example of Vancouver’s Bohemian flavour / sub-culture. I thoroughly enjoyed the different expressions of ‘me’ that the locals were displaying. There is absolutely no concern of how others might perceive – or what others may think. ‘This is me’ is what it is all about in Vancouver. Which, along with the stunning natural beauty of the area, is what makes Vancouver, Vancouver.

IMG-20120610-00096

IMG-20120610-00098

We later walked the waterfront and some of downtown, and I continued to be the tourist, snapping pictures and asking questions. Enjoying the hell out of myself, quite simply.

IMG-20120610-00113Vancouver Twilight.

IMG-20120610-00107Vancouver water front.

Today, Sophia took me to Stanley Park. Another example of the beauty that is the west coast of Canada. We walked the length of the Lions Gate bridge – my calf muscles are feeling it now, trust me – and was treated to some incredible vantage points to see Vancouver, North Vancouver and the harbour.

The weather today was the nicest that I have experienced thus far - 22 degrees and sunny. And I rode for approximately 20 kilometers. To a local bike shop for an oil change and routine minor maintenance, including an inspection of my chain and sprockets. Oh, and to have my speedometer repaired. It quit working on my ride on the 3A on Saturday. I had run straight into a standing pool of water that had to be at least 8 inches deep and my speedometer quit then and there. Here’s to hoping that it is a quick, simple and inexpensive fix.

Tomorrow morning will see me visiting North Vancouver via Sky Train, and whatever else comes along. Maybe a trip to Gastown. Or China Town.

Tomorrow evening I plan on attending a Meet and Greet with the Vancouver 056 chapter of the CMC. After that, an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting somewhere in Vancouver.

And hopefully, picking my baby up from the shop.

Todays pictures are here.

More from Vancouver tomorrow my faithful travelers.

2 comments:

  1. I warned you!
    3 is awesome, no other word for it!
    We've found the 3rd week in July to be awesome to travel to the coast. Best sunshine, very little rain.
    Any time you want, let us know and we'll do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha....the wheels in my head are turning already! I will be sure to let you know my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate and encourage comments and / or criticisms. If I do not get back right away it is likely because I am out riding - or haven't checked the comments section in a couple of days - but I will do my best to respond.

Hope you are enjoying the ride.