Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Not exactly roughing it…..

 

As part of my speaking at Calgary Police Services tomorrow the city of Calgary has put me up for the night tonight. In pretty posh digs, I must say. As the pictures below attest to, this is not back-country camping. But that is coming, I assure you.

Roughing it in Calgary

An above average out-house

Today started with something new. Riding in the pouring rain. *sigh*

On the bright side, my new rain gear and waterproof boots passed the test with flying colors.

I rode over to CPS headquarters and took care of the introductions and finalized arrangements for tomorrow morning. I should mention that Calgary Police Services have the largest (square footage) headquarters in Canada – the city got a deal that could not be refused when Nortel went south, so to speak. The place is absolutely huge. Well done Calgary. Ottawa could take a tip or two on NOT wasting tax payer dollars, wise property investments, and about 101 other things.

But I digress.

After finishing up there I came here to the hotel to check in and then……yes, hopped on my bike and rode around Calgary. With a mission, I might add. It just so happens that one of the biggest online distributors for all things GPS, GPSCity.com, have an outlet right around the corner from the hotel. And I need a new handle bar mount. How I got talked into buying a new GPS to go with my new mount I am still not quite sure. But if the mount arrives in the store tomorrow (they had no stock on the item that I needed) I will be walking out with a new Garmin Zumo 550 waterproof motorcycle GPS and the aforementioned mount.

My poor visa.

Later in the afternoon I went and had a spaghetti supper with John and his sister – very good spaghetti. I also made a gift of my now redundant 2nd pair of boots – they fit John just fine.

After supper we went to a local A&W and met up with 3 members of the Calgary chapter of the CMC. Two of them are actually originally from Ottawa – Chris, nicknamed ‘Flem’ made sure that I would say Hi to the 011 Ottawa chapter – so Hi from Flem.

And then – the highlight. A ride north on the Glenmore Trail up to a little town known as Bragg Creek. What a spot. And what a view on the ride there. I am now able to say that I have seen the Rockies – albeit from a distance. The scene is pretty much beyond my ability to describe. I am hoping to repeat the ride tomorrow so I can snap a few pictures, as I left my camera behind this evening.

I was given some ‘voice of experience’ advice on routes that I absolutely must ride – as well as some updates on current conditions. Between mudslides, floods, washouts, torrential rains and…yes…SNOW….it appears that I may have to delay my entry into the mountains by a day or two. Which I may have had to do anyway, because……

There is one sour note to the day, however. I am now pretty much convinced that my bike is suffering from some form of bottom-end mechanical problem. I am thinking clutch – but I am not experienced with motorcycle mechanics. Zen maybe, but that is another story.

I will be bringing my baby in to a local repair shop tomorrow. And waiting patiently, trying not to show my nervousness and unease, for the motorcycle doctor to give me a prognosis.

Pray for me, my fellow travelers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate and encourage comments and / or criticisms. If I do not get back right away it is likely because I am out riding - or haven't checked the comments section in a couple of days - but I will do my best to respond.

Hope you are enjoying the ride.